Short term consultancy at AgriProFocus Kenya!
AgriProFocus is an international multi-stakeholder network that brings together institutions and professionals in the agri-food sector and agribusiness that support agripreneurs. Our membership comprises of private sector, public sector, farmer organizations, knowledge institutions including research, and the development sector. Established in the Netherlands in 2005, AgriProFocus network has expanded to 11 country networks in Africa and two in South-East Asia. In Kenya, AgriProFocus has been in existence since 2009. AgriProFocus Kenya has a membership of over 110 organizations and over 7,000 professionals. The AgriProFocus network brings together stakeholders in the sector to strengthen their individual and collective impact. As a multi-stakeholder network, our members and partners bring together diversity of knowledge, expertise, practice and resources.
Youth in agribusiness is one of the focus areas within AgriProFocus Kenya network under the theme inclusive agribusiness. By focusing on youth, AgriProFocus identifies young change makers in the agri-food sector to make agribusiness work for development. The network provides a platform for young agripreneurs to share, learn, collaborate and inspire each other as well as link to other stakeholders in the support ecosystem of youth in agribusiness.
Partners and members of the AgriProFocus Kenya network have co-organized several events with the AgriProFocus team around the theme of promoting youth in agribusiness. These have included:
- Youth challenge and matchmaking forums for youth and investors.
- Business simulation activities focused on boosting the businesses of young people.
- Online discussions, webinars around youth in agribusiness in a changing climate.
- Mapping of youth initiatives, policies and actors in Kenya.
Based on experiences within the network over the past two years, AgriProFocus Kenya is in the process of designing an innovative and inspiring programme for young agripreneurs in the agrifood sector. The programme focuses on opportunities for stakeholders to make agribusiness work for development by promoting investments, improved business and trade for young agripreneurs.
In order to further develop the youth programme, we have an exciting opportunity for a creative and enthusiastic professional to support the AgriProFocus Kenya team. More specifically to:
- Develop and update a comprehensive database of stakeholders within the youth in agribusiness sector including building onto the existing trendsetters’ database of young agripreneurs both online and offline.
- Facilitate and moderate the online youth in agribusiness page.
- Facilitate and organize business networking platforms with and for AgriProFocus partners and stakeholders working on youth in agribusiness including young agripreneurs.
- Support the design and execution of the youth in agribusiness session during the AgriProFocus annual Network Day scheduled on 15th November 2017.
- In consultation with the Business and Partnership Manager and the Youth thematic leader, contribute to refining and finalizing the youth program - PAINT-Y a pilot project in Kenya and plan for PAINT-Y conference and expo in February 2018.
- In consultation with the Business and Partnership Manager, identify and approach potential donors and funders for different program proposals developed including PAINT-Y.
The consultant may be given any other tasks by the Business and Partnership Manager as deemed relevant and necessary to support the team.
- An updated and comprehensive database of stakeholders within the youth in agribusiness ecosystem.
- A vibrant and attractive online youth page for all network stakeholders.
- At least two business networking platforms organized.
- A refined PAINT-Y program and approach to achieving the different objectives outlined in the envisioned program.
- A well executed PAINT-Y conference and expo in February 2018.
- An updated comprehensive database of key actors, donors, stakeholders in the youth in agribusiness ecosystem in Kenya.
The consultant will report to the Business and Partnership Manager with functional relation to the youth thematic lead in The Netherlands.
Skills and qualifications
- Minimum of 4-5 years work experience at mid level position with good knowledge on developing and implementing youth in agribusiness initiatives in the agri-food sector.
- A relevant university degree; agribusiness management, marketing and agricultural economics are an added advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of the agri-food, business and donor community in Kenya.
- Excellent knowledge on youth in agribusiness issues, challenges, opportunities and networks within the youth in agribusiness ecosystem.
- Experience in developing proposals targeted towards donors.
- Experienced in use of, and active on online social networks.
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Excellent presenter, communicator, relationship builder and networker.
- Pleasant, positive and learning attitude and ability to interact well with others as well as willing to receive feedback.
- Work independently to a high standard and integrity.
- Well-structured and organized with ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Strong background in resource mobilization is an added advantage.
Terms of consultancy
The consultant will be hired on a full time basis starting 1st November 2017 for a period of 4 months ending 28th February 2018. Terms of engagement are on a consultancy basis as per the Kenyan employment act and will be subject to the relevant taxes.
Guidelines to developing your motivation letter
In your motivation letter please address the following questions:
- Why are you a good fit for AgriProFocus? Please give examples of how your experience, interests and personality make you a strong candidate? (Max. 300 words).
- What are 2-3 unique opportunities you see in the agri-food and business space in Kenya for youth? Why? How do you hope to further explore these in this role? (Max. 300 words).
- If we were to speak with your colleagues, previous supervisors and professional peers, what are 3 words they’d use to describe you? Please provide 1-2 examples of how you leveraged these traits or strengths to create value for something important for your professional life? (Max. 300 words).
Like to apply?
Interested applicants can send their detailed CV, motivation letter and daily consultancy rate [in response to the questions below [max 1 A4] with the Subject Title: “Short Term Consultancy” [no copies of scanned certificates at this moment] to email@example.com by close of business Monday 23rd October 2017.