JOB OPPORTUNITY IN ETHIOPIA
Wageningen University and Research (WUR) and SNV Ethiopia will jointly implement the BRIDGE project (Building Rural Income through Inclusive Dairy Growth in Ethiopia, 2018-2023), which aims at strengthening the dairy value chain in four clusters in Ethiopia. The impact of the project is to contribute to an “improved performance in the dairy sector in Ethiopia”, for 120.000 farming households, with four main outcomes:
1) improved milk production,
2) improved milk collection, processing and marketing,
3) improved consumption of nutritious foods, and
4) Improved enabling environment.
The project will be implemented by a consortium of: SNV Netherlands Development Organization and Wageningen University & Research. SNV will be responsible for overall coordination and financial management as well as being the first accountable for implementation work at community development level in all the outcomes. WUR is first accountable for the work related to research & innovation as well as backstopping on M&E.
WUR wishes to employ a research and innovation coordinator to lead the research and innovation activities of BRIDGE. The research activities will be implemented with local Universities as well as Regional Agricultural Research Institutes in four regions: SNNP, Oromia, Amhara and Tigray.
Purpose of the position
The research and innovation coordinator is responsible for developing, coordinating and administering all research activities of BRIDGE, in collaboration with the WUR staff, based in Wageningen, the Netherlands. Work scope includes liaising with the implementing agency SNV, building up a research programme with universities and RARIs in four regions, and developing strong research-extension linkages that ensure effective integration of research findings in extension activities of BRIDGE and stakeholders in the private sector of the dairy value chain. Duty station will be SNV Office in Addis Ababa.
Duties and responsibilities
- Planning and coordination of all research activities of in the four regions BRIDGE will operate, developing the necessary research protocols and procedures; liaising with all necessary stakeholders in preparation and implementation of the research activities
- Developing a team approach with other research partners (Universities and RARI’s).
- Promoting research capacity among the partners involved in the research activities
- Ensure a smooth collaboration with the extension activities implemented by BRIDGE in partnership with the Extension Department of the Ministry of Agriculture
- Lead development of extension messages based on research outcomes and continuously evaluating progress on a regular basis
- Coordinating planning, budgeting and tuning of implementation activities across the four regions;
- Supervision and coordination of the necessary administrative and logistic support services to the research activities implemented by the Universities and RARI’s in the four regions.
- Overseeing a smooth and efficient operation of research and data collection activities
- Start date of the position is 01 January, 2019.
- Requirements, education, training and competencies.
- Academic degree PhD in Animal Science, preferably with specialization on dairy production and/or innovation systems.
- Good knowledge of in Ethiopian agricultural research and extension systems.
- Relevant work experience in research, extension and development in the area of dairy production systems, innovation and stakeholder processes.
- Excellent communications skills including scientific and professional writing; good command of the English language and good computer skills. Proven track record in data analysis and scientific publications.
- Knowledge of and affinity with international organizations and a good team player with proven ability to work in complex teams composed of organizations with different backgrounds.
- Minimum work experience of 10 years after MSc.
- A flexible, pro-active, hands-on approach and an open attitude; able to work independently while still maintaining good contacts with all stakeholders.
- Willingness to travel frequently within Ethiopia.
- Availability as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and accompanying motivation letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Additional information can also be obtained through this email address.
Interviews will be scheduled in Addis Ababa between November 14 and 16, 2018.
During the interviews, shortlisted candidates will be expected to present a brief proposal on a local dairy development related issue covering one of the bigger challenges in the dairy value chain in Ethiopia
Deadline - Nov 3, 2018