Options and challenges for organic milk production by East African smallholders
(free download of article until March 2 , 2019 via link: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1YNVO6fSi9gLHQ )
This article is co-authored by Gidi Smolders, who as an expert for PUM worked with AgriProFocus in various APF dairy learning labs. It is an easy to read 11pager with some scenarios for improved crop-livestock interactions.
- • Outdoor stay and grazing are major challenges to many organic smallholders with cattle.
- • Local resource circulation can integrate dairy cattle into certified organic crop production.
- • Involvement of communities for feed and grazing a beneficial option for smallholders.
- • A secure market is paramount for developing certified organic milk production.
- • Certification comprising whole farms is expected to stimulate animal-crop integration.
Go to full article here: