AgriProFocus in partnership with the Kenya Horticultural Council and Nairobi County Government held a food safety stakeholder meeting on behalf of the Netherlands Development Organization (SNV). The meeting was held on 16th October 2018 at Jacaranda Hotel, Nairobi and in attendance were: researchers, private sector actors, development partners as well as public sector actors from county and national government.
SNV and its consortium of partners are currently implementing a project on Market-led Horticulture Programme which has three focus areas namely: – Food safety in fruits and vegetables, Food loss reduction and inclusion of small holder farmers in agricultural value chains.
A lot of studies and reports have been done on food security unfortunately, the implementation of study findings have been poor; the meeting therefore aimed at moving from studies to practice with the aim of piloting a traceability system within Nairobi City Park Market through the finding... Read more
· Sharing and exchange of experiences and results of business cases; the business models used and the potential for scale to relevant sector stakeholders;
· Promotion of partnerships and links
AgriProFocus Kenya in 2016 organized 6 farmer exposure events in the lower Eastern counties – Machakos, Makueni and Kitui. The structure of the farmer exposure events provided a platform for farmers to learn and also share experiences with other stakeholders. The value chains of focus as per the DryDEV program included; pulses, indigenous poultry, goat, honey and mangoes. However other complimentary aspects for instance water management were also addressed in some of the field days. A lead farmer in each area was identified to host the farmer exposure visit. This provided an opportunity for peer learning.
The objectives of the exposure events are:
1. To provide a platform for farmers to link and learn about market requirement on quality, quantity and logistics
2. To expose and link farmers to value chain financing opportunities
3. Provide opportunity for farmers to learn about products, services and technologie... Read more